World Class...Art

Friday 9 September 2011

How to Make People Laugh Without Offending Them Read more at Suite101: How to Make People Laugh: The Psychology of a Different Sense of Humor for Men and Women | Suite101.com http://l-pawlik-kienlen.suite101.com/so-you-think-youre-funny-a12362#ixzz1XVbYtCI4


  • Tease about an action or phrase, not someone's physical or personality characteristics. For instance, I laugh when my hubby ribs me about planting the carrots so close together they form a congealed mass of orange roots. I don't laugh when he teases me about the size of my butt.
  • Exaggerate so much, it's an obvious joke. Use your body language or voice to make it clear you're teasing, and people may laugh.
  • Choose who you tease wisely. Not everyone shares the humor in jokes about women drivers (have you checked out their car insurance rates? Much lower than men's). Don't risk offending or making someone mad.
  • Pay attention to the difference between men and women's perceptions of humor. My hubby has accused me of not having a sense of humor; I've accused him of thinking the silliest things are funny.
  • Remember that the subconscious can't take a joke. Don't be cruel – if you want to make people laugh, you should be kind. Some psychologists say you shouldn't tease those of a lower status than you, such as a subordinate at work or the janitor of your condominium.
Telling good jokes isn't just about having a good laugh. Teasing and laughter can reveal alot about your personality, sense of humor, and how you deal with life. Telling good jokes can improve your health and strengthen your relationships -- but only in the right context


1 comment: